It’s June, it’s tipping it down outside and I’m snuggled up on the sofa with a blanket wrapped round me – perfect circumstances then to write a post about ten things I love about the summer!
1. Our glorious weather – Okay, so we can’t be guaranteed sunny days in the UK, and the likelihood is that we’ll have more than our fair share of torrential rain, but when the sun does decide to come out, it feels like such a wonderful blessing. This year we’ve had some lovely days, and although it’s a complete washout at the moment, I’m certain… the sun’ll come out tomorrow (bursts into song!)
2. Eating al fresco – So this is very dependent on No. 1 above, but what could be better than sitting outside in the fresh air to share a meal. Whether it’s a family barbecue, a light lunch with friends or just to partake of a cup of tea and a biscuit, it’s a proper treat to sit on the patio, to feel the sun on your skin and indulge in some special summertime treats, which leads me on to point No. 3…
3. Tasty Morsels – Strawberries and cream, plentiful salads, ripe fruits, delicious flavoured ice creams – there’s such a wide choice of scrummy things to eat in the summer months. Some of my favourite things include a big juicy burger straight off the barbecue or a caesar salad or a fillet of salmon, with new potatoes and green beans. For pudding I’d choose a rhubarb crumble or summer pudding, or perhaps a slice of Victoria sponge – mmmm… and now my stomach’s rumbling at the thought.
4. And something to drink? – I’d definitely need a lovely long cool drink to accompany all that delicious food. A long cool Pimms with strawberries, mint and cucumber epitomises summer to me, or perhaps a chilled glass of Prosecco, or if I’m forgoing the alcohol completely, (unlikely I know) a glass of homemade lemonade.
5. Anyone for tennis? – You probably won’t find me being energetic enough to dash around a tennis court, but I do look forward to watching Wimbledon fortnight. It’s steeped in tradition, and seeing all the beautifully tended green lawns and following my favourite players’ progress through the early rounds to the finals, is one of the TV highlights of my year.
6. Stripping off – What a relief it is to ditch all that heavy winter clothing; coats, jeans, boots, jumpers, vests, woolly hats and gloves, and slip into something much more comfortable, like shorts and a t-shirt or a floaty cotton dress with some sandals. The opportunities to expose my lily white skin to the sun are so few and far between that I need to make the most of it when I can! (Public Health Notice – please remember to apply your sunscreen)
7. Books – I love to sit in the garden and read a good book and with the arrival of the lovely weather comes a whole array of new releases to choose from. Even if you’re having a staycation you can easily be transported to the sunnier climes of Cornwall, Greece or a magical secluded island through the pages of a good book. My kindle is brimming with summer-based romcoms and I can’t wait to get stuck in.
8. The great outdoors – My daily walks with Amber, my English Pointer, take on an extra special quality during the summer months. Everything grows like billy-o and the countryside comes alive with vibrancy and colour. To see Amber galloping through the long grass really makes me smile.
9. Let’s celebrate! – The summer months are when the whole of my social life for the year is crammed into a few special weeks. Weddings, christenings, family get-togethers and barbecues , they all happen in the summer months and I just love the opportunity to catch up with everyone, and find out all their latest news. Talking of special occasions…
10. My birthday! – I’m an August baby, so was always lucky enough to celebrate my birthday in the school summer holidays when I was a child. When I started work it was a bit of a shock to realise that I might actually be expected to work on my birthday (really?), so I quickly put paid to that idea by deciding I would always take a day’s holiday on my special day. Well, why not? It is summer after all.
These are just a few of my favourite summer things. So tell me, what are yours?